This week I had some figs that were over ripe, so I needed a cake or dessert recipe and stumbled across this one.
7-8 fresh figs
2 cups flour (I used half glutenfree mix and half chickpea flour)
2tsps. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canned coconut milk (I used almond cooking cream)
1/2 cup olive oil
for the crumble topping :
1/2 cup Flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl
- Blend oil and milk together to form a thick mayonaise-like mixture
- Slowly mix the oil mixture into the flour mix to form a thick batter/ dough (unpourable).
- Put in round cake tin and spread evenly
- Cut figs into small pieces ( quartered or in 8ths)
- Push figs lighlty into top of cake batter
- Mix crumble topping with fingers till looks like bread crumbs and sprinkle over cake
- Bake for 40 minutes
- Serve with icecream or yoghurt
Loved the fig part
Note: The original adds ground vanilla. This probably improves the flavor even more. I never have any in the house so don’t include it in the ingredients. I would add a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla sugar, or a ground stick of vanilla.